Monday, April 29, 2019

Being Proud Punekar

Here is a thing. I am born and brought up in Pune. I spend my childhood in an education aspiring, liberal , confident and beautiful city that I adore with my heart. All my best memories about my city  come from my family and friends in Pune. We all are still very close and share a strong bond. Therefore, when mean and ridiculing messages circulate about “Pune” I feel discomfort. Most of the times I can just smile through situation ignoring the comment. . However, that is not always the case. My perception about the “ funny” ( with hidden meanness) comment changes immediately if it comes from friends and family who are not originally from Pune. A joke is a joke when one does it on oneself. It is almost bullying in a shade of verbal harassment if it’s coming from someone outside Pune. So for all the true Puneits, here is my take on the whole thing.
1. You don’t have to feel comfortable if someone is saying bad things about Pune. Feel absolutely OK to be  annoyed.  As I said , someone outside Pune cannot make joke about Pune with just fun spirit and if they claim as their intention then feel free to comment on their city without hesitation. It is just that you have to express your anger in a fun or matter of fact way.
2. There are lot of people who live in pune, earn money in Pune, send their kids to school in Pune and  even come for medical treatment. Some people already have and some like to have property investment in Pune. These people who make fun of Pune are the worst kind. They are ungrateful. You can just say matter of factly “ you don’t have to live here if you don’t like. Please move out”. Or why don’t you find any other city to get medical treatment. It’s like eating in a plate and shitting in it you know.  Most of the time these people have their defense ready saying oh everyone says that- it’s not just me. The implication is clear that they don’t want to take blame for their comment while amusing at it. This is a bully behavior. You can gladly tell them that. .  Especially when they know that you or your family is from Pune then the things become shady. My favorite strategy  is to divert conversation towards them and their city. Instead of you going into defensive mode you bring them in the center of discussion. If God forbid they say that their is nothing wrong with their city then that implies  “ arrogance” which you can point out again with hint of amusement.
3. I have seen people who have absolutely verbally discomforted their pune friends and families without any forethought. Now a person who has to listen to this BS every time do have to walk a tight rope. The best thing is to draw line beforehand in first few of these incidences.  -I always ask myself-would it have been OK if I would have teased them? Or would that have been offensive to them? You bet- it would be. Therefore, it is again all about how much you want to stretch the matter. A funny remark should be sufficient, hopefully. As far as my psychology knowledge goes - it’s always better to draw the line about what is acceptable than allow people to use you or in this case your city as a throw rug. 
4. If Punekars are pointing out their own flaws in fun way then I am all for it. However, that should not be true with everyone. If you are not comfortable, just say out loud. 
5. Do I care what others say about my city? Of course I do. I love my city. Don’t you feel proud about your roots.. I feel proud about my school, my college and my place of work. I am part of it and I feel loyal. Maybe not all the people feel this way. That’s not my problem.  My kids go to Taekwando. The first precept of it is “ Be loyal to your country “. There is always pride in being loyal to where one comes from and where one lives or has some connection connected with his or her well being. Unfortunately Punekars get hammered about this loyalty. 
6. Lot of people make fun of Punekars laziness and straightforwardness. I don’t think Punekars are lazy. If they would have been , they wouldn’t have made so much progress. Also, it’s better to be straightforward instead of gossiping behind back.
7. I understand, as a common sense, that one can have all kinds of people in a city. Good, bad and ugly. Every city has its own charm. I wish everyone sees it this way.
With all this write up I know non- Punekars and some Punekars are going to say that I am too touchy. I am sensitive when it comes to Pune. To all those people - you are right. I do care very much- love you Pune.:)
- praj101 

1 comment:

It was not that bad

Bye  Let’s start what happens next ?  We will meet for sure ЁЯСН here or in afterlife and I am not going anywhere and so are you.  Yet time is...